T&D April 17

It has been my biggest week of training in 2016! It certainly feels like it and Training Peaks also tells me that it is. This is a massive achievement after suffering from illness, a broken collar bone, mental fatigue and diabetes challenges over the last 6 months. With two weeks until Port Macquarie 70.3 I am feeling in a really good place and hoping that with my revised training methodology and my recent time-off this will result in a positive performance in the race. This may be positionally, a PB or just getting through the race with no diabetes complications or impacts on my performance.

It has been another challenging week managing my BGLs. After lats week regular hypo’s this week my overnight BGL’s kept running high and really affected my sleep. Multiple bolus corrections were required overnight and trying to get my BGLs to stay stable for morning training sessions was a real challenge. Luckily I got through all but one of my sessions without too many issues, the “one” resulted in a long slow hypo walk home.

T&D April 17 Image

TSS tells the story this week with some work still to do on the bike.

This past couple of weeks have present some of the biggest diabetes challenges, particularly trying to figure out unexpected BGL and subsequent basal pattern changes. Having essentially the same routine these variations are so frustrating and very difficult to control. Trying to manage them I’ve done a several things well and a couple of things badly. With hindsight the best management is easy to figure out but at the time getting it 100% is neigh impossible.

What I Did Well

  • Assessed high and low BGLs each day and adjusted basal rate accordingly (used CGM effectively for this)
  • Made adjustments that would be tracable the following day, that is I would be able to review if the changes worked or didn’t work (recorded basal changes and kept bolus the same)
  • Managed training sessions around high BGLs so that I still got something out of the training session (reduced effort sets when BGLs ran high)
  • Kept my diet really simple and avoided sugars and Hi-Gi carbs (expect when I over-treated a hypo).
  • Generally didn’t stress out when BGLs didn’t track as planned

What I Didn’t Do Well

  • Over-treated a couple of hypos and high BGL episodes which resulted in a see-saw of BGLs for the following hours. Hypo cravings can be difficult to manage especially when coming off a high where you haven’t eaten very much.
  • Drank too much coffee when BGLs were high, I find that coffee seems to reduce the effectiveness of my insulin doses in these situations. I also find that I drink more coffee when my BGLs are high because I don’t eat as much.
  • Made a bolus/basal plan for training and then didn’t follow it resulting in a significant hypo. I got scared by at rapidily rising BGL and gave a small bolus correction, BGLs stabilised and during the next part of the session I hypo’d.

After such a big week I’ve got a couple of days off to let my body recover and then it’s 12 days to get in some final race intensity work on the track, plenty of active recovery, finalise my diabetes and prepare for race day. Great opportunity to be physically and mental 100% for Port Macquarie 70.3 and I really want to get this one right.

Advertisements

One thought on “T&D April 17

  1. Thanks for sharing. It’s nice to see there are things not done so well that are actually shared. Amazing effort! I feel like sometimes if we know what we should do and still can’t get it right, there is so much judgement. This helps highlight it’s not an exact science and that challenges remain despite knowledge and experience.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s